Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Public Transportation and the Male Ego

I'm a guy. A pretty standard young male with all the pratfalls that are inherent in such a description: the messy apartment, living on 99 cent cans of generic brand beans, and not showering for days at a time. Well, maybe that one's just me.

My point is that I'm just as much your typical male as the next guy on the street. When it comes to public transportation habits, though, I'm vastly different.

For months now I've been noticing an odd habit shared amongst most males that ride on the green line. No it's not that guy who shrieks like a parrot every once and a while and it's not the habitual earwax spelunking that is undertaken. And no I'm also not talking about drunken meatheads going to Kenmore/Harvard Ave bars every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night; they've been around since the discovery of fire.

No, fellow riders, what I've been noticing is an exercise of the male ego.

I'm sure you've all noticed it before, or might perhaps be one yourself: an "unwilling seat-taker". Even I have fallen pray to the Dionysian lure of this habit. What does an unwilling seat-taker do, you might be asking? Well the answer is simple: he is unwilling to take a goddamn seat.

Sometimes, when a train is crowded and few seats open up it is understandable that a chivalrous man would prefer to surrender his comfort to a female, a child, or an elderly person. That's understandable and respectable. The unwilling seat-taker is the guy who refuses to take a seat even when the train yields ample seating for everyone. He will continue to stand uncomfortably even though he could sit down without compromising his gentlemanhood.

I've tried to analyze why some guys do this. I know its not that they prefer standing; after all, who prefers standing to sitting? No one. Its not for the exercise, because I probably burn just as many calories trying to comprehend how the Metro's writers have jobs.

I can only surmise that its for this reason: they think it makes them look weak and/or not a gentleman if they would rather sit than stand. It's the male ego coming into play again. In response to one of my posts earlier about "Chivalry on the T", one outraged reader commented that "I obviously wasn't raised corectly." I wondered why someone would be so angered by my post that they would make a personal attack on me. But I came to this conclusion:

Some males are so conditioned to surrender their own needs, wants, and desires to assist those that they feel are "weaker" or "less fortunate" than themselves that they are blind to the fact that sometimes they aren't helping anyone by being so chivalrous. Chivalry is a term implying the male's moral need to assist and be kind to a female because they are the "stronger" sex. It's a term that grew out of the middle-age's romanticized history and should not apply to our modern world where females are equal shareholders in the social stratum.

Men should act out of kindness and politeness; the earnest desire to help the people around them. They shouldn't act out of some macho preconceived notion that a man should never allow himself to sit even when there are plent of seats available. Common sense dictates that if there are 100 seats and 20 people, all 20 of those people could and should sit.

So I implore you, my fellow XY chromosomed compadres: take a seat. Make the world a happier place.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I'm male and sometimes I just prefer to stand. I don't feel like sitting, seats available or not. Numerous times I'll take a seat just to keep the group I'm with happy even though I'd rather stand. My job keeps me on my feet most of the time and I don't mind standing when I'm off the job. Maybe it's just me .... but I doubt it.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's worse are those people who, for whatever reason, won't take a seat when it's crowded and the best service they could do to their fellow transit riders is to sit down and make room for other people to enter the train. I understand the hesitancy in not wanting to take a seat from somebody else, but please, if your not sitting down makes everybody else squished like sardines, take the damned seat!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the possible reasons that I may not sit down even if there are available seats:

a) I don't really want to sit next to T people. 'nuff said.
b) If I'm only going a few stops, I may not bother, especially if there isn't an aisle seat available. I'm not going to make someone get up so I can sit down, just to get up again 3 minutes later.
c) If I have a backpack or some other article with me, it can be easier and more comfortable to stand rather than sit with it on my lap or some other awkward position.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Tyler said...

i definitely agree with what you say about not wanting to sit down when you're only traveling a few stops or if you're carrying a bag or whatnot. There are several credible reasons for not sitting, I just feel as if it is ridiculous for a guy not to sit just because he thinks he is not morally allowed to sit down.

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deciding whether or not to sit is a complicated calculation that I do whenever I board a Green line train. This decision involves the following factors:

- Are there any seats available? If yes,
-- Are the only seats available in between people already sitting. If yes,
--- Do I feel like sitting scrunched between those people?
--- Do these people look like they want me to sit between them? (In an otherwise empty train, there is plenty of room for me to stand and give these already seated people their breathing room)
-- Are the only seats available seats that face other seats? If so...
---- Do I want to deal with the awkwardness of staring across at someone, prentending to look at every point surrounding them and/or out the window without actually making eye contact?
-- How crowded is the train? Would it make more sense for me to sit to give other people more room to stand?
-- How many stops do I have to go? The further I have to go, the greater the chance is that I will sit.
-- Do I even feel like sitting at all? I sit all day long at my job so much of the time standing just feels better.

All of these calculations take place in about 2.4 seconds.

Of course, the one overriding factor to all of this is whether there is someone who clearly needs to sit more than I do, i.e. an older person or someone who is clearly not able to stand for whatever reason.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard recently:

Man 1: (loudly) I'll stand.
Man 2: (more loudly) Oh... umm... me too.
Man 1: I hate sitting.
Man 2: Yeah. I hate sitting on the T.
(A seat opens up. Man 2 sits.)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Train Mon! said...

I agree with everyone else who said that if they're only going one or two stops it's not worth it to take seat most of the time. This is especially true during rush hour. I take the Orange Line frequently and when I used to take a seat every time I frequently got buried by standees within a couple of stops. Then I'd have to get up and little like an a** climbing through all these people to get off. Now I just stand by the doors.
But maybe there is a little machismo aspect to it as well. Maybe, as an avid subway fan since I could walk, there's something cooler about subway surfing than sitting there "resting my weary bones," which, at 25, should hardly be weary. As a kid, I especially used to to love the challenge of keeping balance in the articulated parts of the Green Line trolleys and in the Amtrak vestibules, riding between the cars (until the conductors kicked me out). The latter used to be a big competition amongst myself and the other boys I rolled with (pun intended). So maybe that part of me has lived on, who knows.
I'm actually more apt to take a seat when I'm coming from the gym and genuinely exhausted from a long workout. When I'm just coming from work and sitting 90% of the day, it's just the opposite feeling.
The only time I've ever been weirded out by a standee who has zero reason to stand was when I was driving the bus one day and a 30-something year-old guy gets on the 35' bus I'm driving with several big bags of groceries and, with ample seats behind the rear doors, decides to just stand there, centered from the left and right side and surf the entire way. I kept looking in the rearview mirror to see if he or his cargo would slip, but no--it is possible to be (virtually) perfectly centered in any public transit vehicle capable of taking standees. Needless to say weird and cool at the same time, especially for someone that age.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I agree with a lot of your opinions, but chastising people who don't want to sit? That's bizarre. It also makes me feel like you just can't win. If I am standing and not blocking anyone's way, why is that a problem? It's certainly not your problem.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Leisure travel troy michigan 2004 barchetta lamborghini murcielago african american interracial dating black personals Sales skin care michigan Fat women giving blowjobs free interracial dating websites for teens ppc 6600feachers Carbon nanotube television mitsubishi Universal air filter company Free cellphones without major credit cards travel packages for cancun China airline side trips How to clear blemishes from eczema Scholarship for high school student scholarship for woman Automatic dishwasher repair how to

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Load free web templates witty boating comments Rapid city phone listings Trip like do Pay per click search engine table suzuki gs motorcycle part numbers Telemarketing call center green st concerta fail drug test work Olympus digital cameras portland oregon Bontril qoclick Webcams + portland + australia Effexor xr venlafaxine xr blakeslee pennsylvania G nter benker lufthansa Cosmetic surgery breast lift australia costs boating industry http://www.direct-insurance-travel-travel.info/basic_boating_safety_course.html dodge challenger 2007 Awning repair shops Blackberry 7520 nextel used subaru legacy

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

8:27 PM  
Anonymous erotic bisex stories said...

He sighed andlooked like a lost boy in a tight blue jump suit. Your daughter stole something from me.
search free erotic sex stories
transvestite bondage stories
xxx free amateur bestiality stories
free erotic stories with pictures
masturbation stories caught
He sighed andlooked like a lost boy in a tight blue jump suit. Your daughter stole something from me.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when should clomid be taken | where to buy clomid online no prescription - buying clomid line, clomid 3-7 twins

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid and infertility | http://buyclomidonline.jimdo.com/#50021 - clomid 50 mg for men, clomid package insert

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid multiple births | [url=http://buy-clomid-online.webs.com/#6301]buy clomid no prescription[/url] - clomid 50mg, jtnr clomid day 5-9

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much clomid for pct | clomid online - buy clomid online canada, can clomid delay your period

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid lh surge | clomid without prescriptions - clomid price walmart, clomid missed dose

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid patient information leaflet | http://cheapclomidonline.jimdo.com/#96144 - buying clomid line, clomid when will i ovulate

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid bodybuilding dosage | where to buy clomid online no prescription - clomid pills online, uses for clomid

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pct clomid | http://buy-clomid-in-usa.webs.com/#41476 - i want to buy clomid online, can clomid change your cycle time

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you take clomid | http://buyclomidonline.webs.com/#45915 - clomid 25, does clomid make your period late

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid and late ovulation | clomid ovarian cysts - clomid 50mg, how late can you ovulate on clomid

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid and ovulation pain | [url=http://orderclomid.jimdo.com/#73231]how many rounds of clomid before getting pregnant[/url] - clomid no prescription, bbgb clomid twins rate

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is clomid expensive | http://buyclomidcheap.webs.com/#27361 - buy clomid without a prescription, progesterone and clomid

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid multiple birth statistics | where to buy clomid online safely - clomid tabs, clomid message board

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid steroid cycle | [url=http://purchaseclomid.jimdo.com/#85630]buy clomid without prescription uk[/url] - buy generic clomid, kpkv clomid drug interactions

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clomid women | http://clomiddiscount.webs.com/#79727 - buy clomid no prescription uk, clomid use in men

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how effective is clomid in conception | clomid online cheap - clomid online fast delivery, side effects of taking clomid

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hcg and clomid together | [url=http://ordergenericclomid.webs.com/#85134]ordering clomid online[/url] - cheap clomid online, gisl ovulation after stopping clomid

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home