Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Justification for this Blog

Many people have said to me recently, "Isn't your anti-T blog a little...much?"

It forced me to consider my reasoning. Maybe the T isnt' so bad. I mean, it does provide a relatively inexpensive means of transportation when compared to the skyrocketing costs of gasoline.

But, after an experience that occurred yesterday, my dedication to this blog's message was reaffirmed.

It was a rainy afternoon; the kind of day where you'd much rather watch Talk Soup re-runs and eat frosting out of a can than set foot outdoors. I, however, had errands to run. I had to go downtown to the Hynes stop to pick up my check from work, cash that check in the Pru, and then I had to go down to the Boylston stop. It sounds like a pretty simple trip.

It wasn't.

I waited in the rain at Packard's Corner for an inbound train. Luckily, a train came right away! Hooray, the T finally came through for me when I needed it most. Spoke too soon. It was packed, shoulder-to-shoulder, filled to capacity. There was no way I could squeeze in. So, I continued to wait in the rain for another to come. 40 minutes later, one did. Let me repeat that last number: 40 minutes. I was angry, but relieved. But wait--that train was full too! Even more full than the previous train. Again, I waited in the rain.

20 minutes later, a T came that had room for my half-dead body. That brings my grand total waiting time to one hour. One hour for the T. A new record folks.

After an uneventful ride filled with high school kids yapping on their cell phones and pre-pubescent girls playing each other voice mails from their boyfriends on speaker phone, I arrived at Hynes and got my check. I proceeded to the Pru to go to Sovereign bank to cash said check.

After my bank business was complete, I went underground once more to catch an inbound train to Boylston. Let me remind you that the Prudential stop is on the E-line, which is quite possibly the worst of all lines. This time, the train took 30 minutes to arrive.

All in all, I spent 1.5 hours waiting for a the T to come. And people complain about the cost of gas....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a student I'm well versed in T riding and deciding when to walk over waiting. Since it was raining this does throw a wrench into the equation here, but if you had an umbrella you should have walked. Packard's Corner to Hynes is 1.75 miles. The average human has a good walking pace of 3-4mph, do the math and walk.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a country pumkin Mom who will use the T to visit my son and deliver goodies or things my son needs. I've given up driving in Boston and joke I need a neon sign on my car saying TOURIST-LEAVE WIDE BERTH!
Several times I've taken the wrong line and will be stuffed in the T with packages jammed into other peolpe and get scowling looks , get back to the correct line ,wait for long periods of time and then get to my destination bruised ,battered and bewildered bbut glad to reach my destination knowing my car hasn't been rammed.

On several occasions the drivers 9when i can get near them)have been helpful and given me directions.

have you been on other large city ublic transit systems? How do they compare.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where I live the train/bus fare has gone to $2 with a $2 transfer charge.href=http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0601010006jan01,1,2646433.story?coll=chi-news-hed" www.chicagotribune.comHighest fare in tghe U.S.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Lyss said...

Maybe they should think about adding more trains?

Or shelters for pple to wait underneath....

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

car insurance san diego
car insurance broker
cheap car insurance uk
cheap car insurance online
auto insurance quote
car insurance broker
buy car insurance
car insurance dallas
allstate car insurance
buy car insurance
car insurance price
direct car insurance
car
insurance philadelphia

best car insurance company
auto cheap insurance
car insurance
car insurance policy
direct car insurance
car insurance for mexico
low cost car insurance online
antique car insurance
free online car insurance quote
geico car insurance quote
cheap online car insurance quote
online car insurance
car insurance uk
agent car company home insurance life quote rate
car insurance in new jersey
cheap car insurance uk
cheap car insurance online

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
low car insurance

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home